Blocking /part messages

How can we improve the network? Give us your feedback and suggestions for improvement here.

Moderators: IRC Operators, Support Team

MasterXC2007
User
User

Blocking /part messages

Postby MasterXC2007 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:13 am

For the love of god, please do something about this. For the past couple weeks I've seen literally dozens of part messages advertising their channels and crap, and it's getting extremely annoying. It's even more so when it's impossible to stop because the person is gone, and it's always different people each time anyway.

My suggestion: Either turn off part messages entirely or create a mode that prevents /part messages from showing, or at least something to stop the annoying and rampant advertising tactics.
http://www.co.cc/?id=152526 <-- free domain :D
#help Staff
Ward
User
User

Re: Blocking /part messages

Postby Ward » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:50 pm

You can't just "not show part messages" on the server end, a client wouldn't know that a person has left. The most you could do is censor part messages.
MasterXC2007
User
User

Postby MasterXC2007 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:54 pm

Ward wrote:You can't just "not show part messages" on the server end, a client wouldn't know that a person has left. The most you could do is censor part messages.

Okay, I'll rephrase it: Force clients to use "static" part messages. On some networks, the actual message (not the PART part, but the message after) is striped. This is what I was talking about...
#help Staff
cursive
User
User

Postby cursive » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:52 pm

Hi

I've been monitoring the part messages on the network for an hour and only one contained a channel name. While it may be coincidental, it looks like this isn't such a huge problem.
I do understand that this may be annoying, so I would suggest you report the channels that were advertised so we can look into those?
Obviously they don't tend to do it in most of the channels opers are in.

Kind regards
All spelling mistakes, grammatical errors and stupid comments are intentional.
MasterXC2007
User
User

Postby MasterXC2007 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:46 am

Some examples (in no particular order):

(09:03:31pm) :::: Join: [A]Mike (~Elf@346741DA.1BD06B9.2AAA30CE.IP)
(09:04:53pm) :::: Quit: [A]Mike (~Elf@346741DA.1BD06B9.2AAA30CE.IP) (Quit: Jessica Alba IS GETTING NAKED TO A PERSON IN #OMNICIDE OMFG JESSICA ALBA GETTING NAKED TO A PERSON IN #OMNICIDE ! NO TROLLING THIS TIME! #OMNICIDE #OMNICIDE #OMNICIDE TRIXX'S GIRLFRIEND IS JESSICA ALBA. /QUERY TRIXX YOU'RE OWNAGE)

(10:50:53pm) :::: Join: Attack_Lol (~Needles@Swift-637FE2E3.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
(10:51:27pm) :::: Quit: Attack_Lol (~Needles@Swift-637FE2E3.pitbpa.east.verizon.net) (Quit: Panic #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety#Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety #Anxiety)

(11:44:54pm) :::: Quit: PewPewPewPewPew (~PewPewPew@Swift-76AFA3C.vc.shawcable.net) (Quit: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IS RUNNING AROUND THE WILD WITH D CLAWS :D)

(11:36:55pm) :::: NickChange: Snookies to ``Wade
(11:37:22pm) :::: Quit: Pepezzzz (~Needles@Swift-637FE2E3.pitbpa.east.verizon.net) (Quit: The Hatred Is Reopening BLU wanted to Reopen It! All Ex TH Join ASAP! #THE_HATRED #THE_HATRED #THE_HATRED #THE_HATRED #THE_HATRED #THE_HATRED #THE_HATRED #THE_HATRED #THE_HATRED #THE_HATRED #THE_HATRED #THE_HATRED #THE_HATRED #THE_HATRED #THE_HATRED #THE_HATRED #THE_HATRED #THE_HATRED#THE_HATRED #THE)

Granted this is over the course of a couple days, but still, even once a day gets annoying after a while. This is in #runebnc.
#help Staff
Edavis
User
User

Postby Edavis » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:46 pm

What is even the point of allowing quit and part messages to be visible? In UnrealIRCd you can set a default part and quit message (like most ircds do).
Class Team - Team Leader
IRCHelp Team - Team Member

Remy
User
User

Postby Remy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Thanks, kathi. :)

Return to “Suggestions”