/Ignore (nick)

How can we improve the network? Give us your feedback and suggestions for improvement here.

Moderators: IRC Operators, Support Team

zez700

/Ignore (nick)

Postby zez700 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:03 am

I honestly think a /ignore (nick) command should be added into swiftirc/swiftkit. Silence doesn't work on swiftkit, I don't know why, but I would find it very useful if it did.
Patje
mIRC Guru
mIRC Guru

Re: /Ignore (nick)

Postby Patje » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:13 am

The silence command works fine on SwiftKit, however, you should remind that it's only made to block private messages and personal notices sent to you. This will not block any channel messages. Also, due to SwiftKit's limitations it will not notify you about the silence rule that was just added, but it will still work.
Arconiaprime
User
User

Postby Arconiaprime » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:16 pm

I'd also like to add to what Patje said:

Silence is only usable up to 10 times per session (unless it has changed).
Silence only works for notices and private messages.
SwiftKit doesn't output any confirmation, but you must be sure all PMs with the user are closed
mIRC has a built in /ignore which is far superior, you should consider switching.

Most spam is done with un-registered nicknames, you should look into using usermodes +R and +T (/helpop ?umodes)
(Tim) Awong, the helpops are scaring me.
--------------------------------------------------------
SwiftIRC Services Administrator - 2010 - 2012
Owner: intrepid.il.us.SwiftIRC.net
zez700

Postby zez700 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:04 pm

Arconiaprime wrote:I'd also like to add to what Patje said:

Silence is only usable up to 10 times per session (unless it has changed).
Silence only works for notices and private messages.
SwiftKit doesn't output any confirmation, but you must be sure all PMs with the user are closed
mIRC has a built in /ignore which is far superior, you should consider switching.

Most spam is done with un-registered nicknames, you should look into using usermodes +R and +T (/helpop ?umodes)

I use both mIRC and Swiftkit, but I use Swiftkit more often because it's convenient. The thing is, if I ignored someone on mIRC, would it do the same as on Swiftkit? I suggest that it also blocks channel messages as well, it's not the unregistered users that are annoying. I understand that an op can mute people in a channel though. :P
Arconiaprime
User
User

Postby Arconiaprime » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:37 pm

mIRC's /ignore is client side, meaning that the server still routes the message to the client, but mIRC processing them against in internal ignore list.

the /silence command is server side, so the server doesn't send any message to the recipient if the sender is on the silence list.
(Tim) Awong, the helpops are scaring me.
--------------------------------------------------------
SwiftIRC Services Administrator - 2010 - 2012
Owner: intrepid.il.us.SwiftIRC.net

Return to “Suggestions”